1950 The Revd Geoffrey Gower-Jones arrives in the parish. Not long in his new parish, he is faced with a burst boiler, a leaking roof, the demise of the Compton Organ and an ongoing debt of £7000!
1950 – 51 The debt cleared by two very successful bazaars, fund raising and donations.
1952 The Silver Jubilee of the ‘new’ church – a full week of worship, thanksgiving and celebration. The new vicarage is built, a new ‘temporary’ organ is installed, the BBC broadcasts two services and plans are made to start up the daughter church which will become St Anne’s, Greenlands.
1953 Coronation year and, as well as special services and parish celebrations, St Stephen's now has two curates, and is a training parish for young clergy.
1956 The Church Times of August features St Stephen's with a selection of photographs.
1957 In March the exterior aspect of the Church and its grounds is enhanced by the gift of a professionally laid out garden. The new Chapel of All Souls, once the Columbarium, is consecrated by the Bishop of Lancaster in June.