The Foundation Stone was laid by Dr William Temple, Bishop of Manchester on 25th July 1925. AMDG, Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam, translates as "for the greater glory of God".
The Lady Altar was given by Mrs Doris Bannister in 1961 in memory of John Bannister, Church Warden. Before it is the plaque marking the resting place of Father Geoffrey's ashes, inscribed "I was the King's cup bearer".
The Lady Altar Ornaments
The Cross was presented to the old church by E G Parker in 1915. The candlesticks were given in memory of Captain John Gay in 1916. The Sanctus Bell, dated 1924, is from the old church. The Sanctuary Lamp was the gift of our first curate, Father Gilbert MacDuff Cooper, and his wife, to commemorate their wedding in 1937.
The Lady Chapel furnishings
The replica of Raphael's Madonna was given and unveiled by Master Stanley Hilton, aged nine, grandson of Mark and Hannah Jackson (formerly of Oldham) in 1927. The communion rails were given by Canon Freshwater and Major A J C Freshwater in memory of their mother, Judith Freshwater, in 1929.The statue of the Virgin and Child was given by Tessie O'Shea, who once lived on Warbreck Drive, in memory of her mother. The tapestries were embroidered by ladies of the congregation for the Jubilee year in 1977, and the materials were the gift of Reg Pickup, Church Warden. The "Della Robbia" panel of the Virgin and Child was donated in May 1943 by Major Carrington Pierce.
Two oak benches were given by Maurice Rhodes, who was a server from 1925.
The Chapel of All Souls
The Praying Hands of St Stephen window was given in gratitude for the ministry of Archdeacon Geoffrey Gower-Jones and was dedicated on the Feast of Epiphany 1995.
The golden gates were given by Arthur Haslam in memory of his wife.
"The trumpet shall sound" window was the gift of the Bullough family in 1949.
The Risen Christ window was given in memory of William Halton (of the Cliffs Hotel) in 1947.
The silver and blue altar frontal was given to St Stephen's by a retired canon of a southern cathedral, who received the draperies in a distribution of perquisites after the Coronation.
The silver cross and candlesticks were presented by Dorothy Dugdale.
The Sanctuary and Chancel
The High Altar was given in 1972 in memory of James and Margaret Cross.
The brass cross and six candlesticks were donated by Mrs Beatrice Taylor at the consecration on 17th May 1927. A pair of tall pedestal candlesticks was presented on the same day by William Woodward, then a server, later to be a Churchwarden. The bunch of four small Sanctus bells was given by Leslie Hatton (a theatrical personality) in 1929.
The south Sanctuary communion rail was given by Annie Garside (formerly of Oldham) in 1941. The north rail was given by her sisters Edith Garside and May Guy also in 1941.
The north choir stalls were given by Margaret Wilde and dedicated in 1939.
The south choir stalls were given by Richard Dixon and dedicated in 1940.
The north side clergy stall was the gift of Hanah and Richard Dixon in 1938.
The south side clergy stall was given by Mr and Mrs Cockcroft in 1935.
The Actors' Chapel
It was dedicated by Percy Mark Herbert, Bishop of Blackburn on 2nd September 1928. The reredos and inner panels of marble were unveiled by Mr Owen Nares (a matinee idol at the time) and Miss Gwladys Stanley. Herman Darewski and his band accompanied the service. One of the characters in the reredos is said to resemble Canon Freshwater. The additional side panel was unveiled by Miss Gracie Fields on 3rd May 1929. The Sanctuary Lamp is the gift of Frank Hatton, a member of the theatrical profession. The prayer desk is a memorial to Thomas Moore, with a carving of St Thomas and the arms of Blackburn cathedral. The ancient oak chair was given by a "well wisher", said to be Mr Turnbull, the photographer. It is used as a Bishop's chair and for the Rose Queen crowning.
The Galahad window was given in memory of John Huddlestone and John Tiller by their widows. John Huddlestone was "Nana ging" director of the Winter Gardens company for 40 years and John Tiller was the founder of the Tiller dancing schools. It was dedicated on 26th January 1930.
The Huddlestone window, dedicated in March 1934, is a memorial to Freida Huddlestone, wife of an executive of the Winter Gardens.
The East Windows in the Sanctuary were installed at the time of the dedication, 17th May 1927. They are in memory of Travis Evans, formerly of Royton, donated by his widow and his son Robert.
The Christ the King window was given by Mr and Mrs Whiteley in 1944.
The Pauline Rivers window was given in 1941.
The circular window above the Lady Altar was presented by Vernon Holt of Oldham in 1927.
The Blackwell window dates from 1939, being designed and made by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. The inscription reads "In the memory of Annie Maud Babington Blackwell, born 21/02/1895 and died 28/11/1938 whose ashes rest beneath this window - the gift of her husband Harold Alexander Blackwell and her children.
The Mappleback window is in memory of the three "Miss Mappleback" sisters.
The Crown of Thorns window was donated by the architects Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster in 1927 at the time of the dedication.
The Memorial window was given by relatives of those who died in the First World War. The names of casualties from the Second World War were added later.
The Ship window was given by Miss Mary Fielding (formerly of Oldham) in 1939.
The Tustin window commemorates the well loved Mrs Tustin, founder and Head of Langdale School, the only school in our parish.
Windows in the Chapel of All Souls - a gift of Mrs Newton.
The Clerestory window on the north side shows St Thomas of York and Christ blessing a child. Donated by Hilda Thomas in 1938.
The Hanging Rood was the gift of Robert Dewhurst in 1945.
The organ case was dedicated on 7th September 1975.